What We’ve Been Up To New Year’s Edition

 


I hope this New Year’s note finds you as healthy and as happy as possible.  On the one hand, 2020 has been a long, long year.  On the other hand, it feels like it has flown by.  Hard to believe it’s time to be thinking of a New Year!  But here we are.

As I’m writing this, we’re also celebrating our 5th Ketoversary!   On that day just after Christmas five years ago, I had no idea that I was on the verge of changing my life.  But that’s exactly what happened.  I got started, I stayed started, I didn’t quit and I didn’t cheat.   And along the way, I got so excited about it that I wanted to share it all with anybody and everybody would would listen so Keto with Kynda was born.  It’s changed over the years, but we’re still here and I thank you so much for following along! 

I looked back at our keto holiday cards from the last few years and boy, did that bring back some memories.  Holidays can be hard when you’ve lost someone you love.  All those happy and merry greetings can make us feel pretty lonely.    I’m thankful for all the blessings that keto has brought to us along the way and for the fuel it’s given to us to navigate life. You can see that post here.  

I did a lot of holiday keto baking this year.  Over the years, I’ve learned to make a pretty good keto cake.  Now I’d like to be able to make it pretty!  So watch for some piping attempts. 🙂   If you’d like to have a reliable cookbook that explains the art and science of keto baking, I like this one.    And if you’d like a peanut butter fudge recipe, this one is easy to make.

The last few months have brought some great new keto books from some of the big names in the keto world.  Among them:  The Cancer Code: A Revolutionary New Understanding of a Medical Mystery by Dr Fung,  Why We Get Sick: The Hidden Epidemic at the Root of Most Chronic Disease by Ben Bickman, and  The P:E Diet by Ted Niaman, MD.  I’ve been experimenting with Naiman’s higher-protein/moderate fat/low carb macros and I have found it helpful in maintaining my weight loss.  The hardback book is expensive, but a digital version is available and you can find him on Twitter as well.

And I’m working on a book too.  It’s not science-y like those above from the experts, but this is a memoir about what happened to us with keto, the ups and downs, and staying keto strong through thick and thin.  I’ve journaled for years but this is the first time since college that I’ve tried to put together a story.  It’s such a challenge!  Are you writing?  Are you working on a book?  If so, I’d love to hear about it.    

We just watched  Kiss the Ground, a documentary narrated by Woody Harrelson available on Netflix, that  “. . . sheds light on a ‘new, old approach’ to farming called ‘regenerative agriculture’ that has the potential to balance our climate, replenish our vast water supplies, and feed the world.”  There was a lot  of emphasis on plant-based nutrition, but there was also discussion about responsibly-raised cattle featured too.  I just recommended it to our grandchildren as a science lesson for their homeschooling studies.

Our local keto meetings have been suspended since March and I miss meeting with everybody!    Over the years that we’ve  held those local meetings, almost two hundred people have attended at one time or another.   Until we can meet in person again, we’re over on Facebook at Keto with Kynda & Mark where you’ll see pictures of what we’re eating and hear more about our day to day keto living.  

I hope you’re experiencing your own keto success.  And if you aren’t, I hope you will reach out to me.  I will always cheer you on!  We all deserve to be as healthy as we can be.  

Til next time,
Kynda

Comments