What We’ve Been Up To – Email Recap

 Welcome to our newcomers at the Unity meeting this week!    With daylight savings time, it was still light when we arrived at the meeting! I’m so looking forward to warmer weather and longer days 🙂

If  you’d like to get more information on how and why this way of eating works for weight loss and wellness, be sure to check out our favorite resources.

I’m always sad when I hear someone say they had problems when they started keto and rather than figuring out what happened and how to correct it, they just quit.  I had “keto flu” when I first started and it wasn’t any fun.  Fortunately, I had some keto experts who told me to up my salt intake and keep going.   We like this explanation from DietDoctor about Common Side Effects found here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects.

Here are a few more links to follow up with our discussion this week:

Keto Guide to Alcohol:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

For a good discussion on keto sweeteners, another dietdoctor link:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners. Mark and I try to avoid sweeteners in general, but we do use erythritol (Swerve), stevia, and monkfruit about once a week.

What about vegetables?  We do eat low carb vegetables, mostly salad greens, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms; but we don’t eat vegetable after vegetable every day.  When we feel like a vegetable, we check the carb counts and top them with good healthy fats like butter and olive oil, or homemade salad dressings (link below).  I really like this 17-minute video from Dr Georgia Ede about A Keto Diet with Fewer Vegetables.

This biscuit recipe from Carrie Brown gets good reviews at our house.  Even the grandchildren approve!

For the salad dressing and mayo recipes that I use every week here at home:  https://www.ketowithkynda.com/salad-dressings/

Many of you have heard me say that cheesecakes are the easiest, most reliable keto desserts to make.   This is my favorite cheesecake recipe:  https://completelyketo.com/harlan-kilstein-perfect-keto-cheesecake/

And if you’re not interested in baking, head on over to The Apple Barn in Chatham for their selection of keto breads, cookies, and desserts.

My mom and sister are coming to see me this weekend and they’ve requested Low Carb Zuppa Toscano soup.

If you’re interested in intermittent fasting, I often recommend The Complete Guide to Fasting where you’ll find a lot of great information from Dr Fung, a nephrologist in Toronto. You can also find an excellent online guide to intermittent fasting on DietDoctor.com.

This week’s cookbook spotlight features Southern Keto by Natasha Newton.  My daughter-in-law gave me a copy of Christmas and I’m just now getting around to taking a good look at it.  The recipes look pretty simple, the pictures are beautiful, and the ingredients are clean keto.  She’s on instagram if you’d like to follow her there at @ketoislife.

Our facebook page Keto with Kynda & Mark has a photo album with about 300 pictures of  our food; so if you need some ideas, head on over there.

Thank you so much for following along with us, reading our email recaps and our Facebook posts, coming to the meetings, and for being part of our keto tribe.  Having a community of like-minded peeps makes this way of eating even  better!  If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.  Our next meeting is March 26th, 6:30 pm at Unity.  See you there!

Til next time,
Kynda


Comments