Pizza Skillet

 


This has become our favorite way to have pizza.  No, there’s no crust.  But really, we do not miss crust anymore. How is that possible?  I dunno.  As much as we loved bread all our lives; after three years eating keto, we’re all about the main ingredients–cheese, sauce, meats, and toppings.

This skillet is easy, quick, and inexpensive.  I can whip one of these up up in the time that it used to take to call up the pizza place and wait on the delivery.  If you’d like, it can also be layered in a baking pan and cooked in the oven rather than making it in the skillet.  We make it both ways.

Instructions:
1) Brown a pound of ground beef along with some onion and garlic in a skillet.
2)  Pour a layer of no-sugar added pizza sauce or marinara over the ground beef.  We like to use Rao’s, but any no-sugar added tomato sauce with some italian seasonings will work. Some people feel Rao’s is too expensive, but I use just enough to cover the ground beef and will get several pizzas from one jar.  Also, I’ve found some really good bargain-priced sauces at our Home Goods and at Big Lots too.  Keep in mind that tomato sauce, even no-sugar added, has carbs.  I keep the sauce to a minimum to keep the carb count down.
3) Cover with a layer of freshly grated mozzarella cheese.  Fresh mozz is wonderful, but there’s a lot of liquid in it so be prepared to cook the liquid off or drain it.  I often use freshly shredded part skim mozzarella instead and if you’d like to avoid having to deal with excess moisture, go with the part skim.
4) Top with pepperoni and whatever other toppings you’d like such as jalapeno slices, mushrooms, olives, ect.  If I have some freshly grated Parmesan on hand, I’ll add that last.
5) Heat through til the cheese is melty and the toppings are heated through.

I remember the first time I realized we could have pizza on this way of eating.  It was then I knew that I was going to be all right long-term with this keto way of eating!

For more ways we’ve made pizza, here’s FatheadAnother Pizza Crust alternativean even-quicker version of pizza baked on parchment paper, and these Pizza Cups are especially good to make for a potluck or lunches.

Comments