Egg Bake

 


This is one of those dishes that I used to make pre-keto and I always worried about it being “fattening”.  Little did I know that had I just eaten this instead of all those other “low-fat” egg white concoctions  that I would have been losing weight all along.  I should have listened to Dr Atkins when I was 15 years old.  We all should have listened to Dr Atlkins back then, we wouldn’t be in such a mess these days.

Anyway, we call this sausage egg bake and you can probably find a dozen recipes just like it out there.  I just saw one the other day that added taco seasoning and I may try that next time.

I brown a sleeve of sausage in a skillet, add some onion with green and red peppers and saute them til softened.  Layer the sausage mixture in the bottom of a 8 x 11 or 9 x 13 pan. Cover the sausage with about a cup to a cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese.

In a large bowl, beat ten eggs with about a half cup of heavy cream and a couple heaping tablespoons of sour cream, and a heaping tablespoon of mayo with salt & pepper.  If you beat the eggs with an immersion blender you’ll get a fluffier result, but I don’t usually bother with that step.  Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and cheese.  Bake 350 degrees til the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.

I like to top mine with sour cream.  Mark favors some of my mama’s homemade salsa. Even our grandchildren like it.  It’s great for leftovers.   Anyway, we hope you’ll like it too.

Comments