Lemon Pound Cake


 I was talking to my mom on the phone the other day and she was raving about a lemon pound cake that my sister-in-law Lisa had made.  “I never tasted a better pound cake.  I couldn’t tell the difference.”  Well, I had to try it.  And. . . She was right!

I used an angel food cake pan and the recipe made a full-sized cake.  Per my calculations, each of the 15 servings has 238 calories, 21 fat, 6 total carbs, 3 fiber, and 7 protein.

It was actually a little too good!  We had a hard time leaving it alone even when I put the extras in the freezer.  So this will be a recipe that I turn to for special occasions or when  there will be people who can help us eat it.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl:
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup Swerve or Pyure or Sukrin 1
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt

Mix wet ingredients in large bowl and beat well until combined:
1 stick butter, melted
1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
6 large eggs
3/4 cup coconut or almond milk (may also substitute heavy cream but that will affect macro counts)
2 Tbls fresh lemon juice, plus zest from one lemon
1 tblsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp liquid stevia (I didn’t use this and didn’t miss it.  Many people do combine sweeteners to tweak the taste)

Add dry ingredients to the wet in increments until well combined.  Pour into greased pan.   The recipe said a loaf pan would work, but it might be a little big for one loaf.  I used an angel food cake pan or a bundt pan would also work.  Bake 350 for about 40 minutes til golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Glaze:
3 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 cup swerve
1/4 cup sliced almonds
(We didn’t use the glaze.  It was still great!)

Comments