Keto--What's That?

"Keto" is a shorter term for a ketogenic way of eating and for nutritional ketosis.    The ketogenic way of eating was first prescribed to treat diabetes and epilepsy in the 1920's and 30's before medications  became the preferred model for treatment.  Those choosing the keto life eat foods that are very low carb, high in healthy natural fats, and  moderate but adequate in protein.

When we eat sugar and grains, our blood sugar goes up.  Insulin is released to get the sugar out of our bloodstream.  Insulin is a very important hormone, but it is also a fat-storing hormone.  So losing excess weight isn't so much about how many calories we eat, it's about how much fat-storing insulin is being made in our bodies.  When we restrict the carbs, our insulin is reduced, and we start to burn fat.  When we do this on a consistent basis, we convert from being sugar-burners to fat-burners.  When we're burning fat, we're producing ketones and are in a state known as nutritional ketosis.

Back when I was eating the standard American diet (SAD) with tons of carbs, I was hungry all the time.  But living on this low carb high fat way of eating, I no longer worry about getting hungry multiple times a day because my body is burning its stored fat.   I have energy and I'm not sleepy after eating because I don't have carb hangovers anymore.

I lost weight and inches, my clothes got too big.  And while my main reason for trying this way of eating was to lose weight, I also experienced another common benefit of keto:  reduced inflammation.  My joint pain went away and I was able to get off medications that I had been on for years.  Wow.  Weight loss and wellness.

My husband Mark has also made an amazing response to this way of eating.  He's lost 40 pounds, his A1c is now a normal 5.2 (down from the upper nine's) and he's off all five  medications that he had been taking for diabetes and hypertension.
   
Fried Chicken & Cheesy Cauliflower

The benefits we've experienced from this ketogenic way of living are amazing.  No, we don't eat sugar, bread, or potatoes any more.  But we get to eat good food that tastes good and keeps us full while keeping our bodies healthy.  And we've found alternative recipes that allow us to enjoy occasional sweet treats like cake and ice cream.   And we still get to eat pizza!
 
Once you start to research, you'll hear story after story from people who have changed their lives with this way of living.  I hope you'll be inspired to learn more about it and decide whether it might be beneficial to you too.

Comments