Common Beginning Issues

 Some common issues when you’re withdrawing from high carb living:

  • “Carb flu” or carb detox.  Not everyone gets it. Mine lasted for a few days.  Fatigue, body aches, headaches.  Ugh. But I knew my body was ridding itself of bloat and going through withdrawal.  The facebook group Ketogenic Success was a big help to me.  They provided support and suggestions and told me not to quit.  They told me to drink water and to eat enough salt.  I ate dill pickles and yes, I drank the juice.  Broth, especially salted bone broth with butter was especially helpful.  There are also some unsweetened electrolye waters on the market.  I found one called Delish at Walgreens.
  • Constipation.  Again, ugh.  Not fun.  Drink plenty of water.  The healthy fats on this way of eating help.  There are over the counter options that can help too.  I talked with my doctor to get her recommendation.  If this becomes an issue for you, don’t hesitate to consult your pharmacist or doctor if you need help choosing an option.
  • For those on medications for diabetes and/or high blood pressure, you’ll need to contact your doctor to discuss dosage changes when beginning a low carb way of eating.  When the amount of carb intake is reduced, blood sugars and blood pressure will also go down  and the amount of medication needed to control these issues will also change quickly.  Call your doc!
  • NOTE:  There are many doctors  who are familiar with and  advocate a ketogenic way of eating, but there are still physicians and healthcare professionals who are following the guidelines that were adopted in the 1970s.  If your doctor expresses concerns about this low carb high healthy fat way of eating, you’ll have to decide how you want to handle the situation.

 

Comments